The use of greenhouses for roses growing manage to produce flowers in seasons and places that otherwise would not be possible. To do this, it requires large greenhouses, light transmission should be adequate, must also have great height and good ventilation in hot months.
The conditions for roses growing are:
We recommend heating during the winter, along with the installation of thermal blankets to conserve heat during the night.
- Temperature: about 20-24 ° C.
- Relative humidity: at around 98-100%.
- Temperature: over 17-25ºC.
- Vegetative minimum temperature: 15 ° C and 32 ° C maximum.
- Relative humidity: around 70-75%.
- You need high light levels: higher light level, greater production. In summer months, when high light intensities and days are longer, flower production is higher than during winter months. They tend to radiate for 16 h with artificial lighting in northern latitude countries to improve winter production in quality and quantity.
Main problems of the climate
High HR: Encourage fungal growth
With low light: Causes the appearance of blind rods and less basal sprouts originating lower flower production. Besides in these conditions flowers have less bright color and plant vegetation is difficult. Contributes to fungi development.
High temperature: Temperatures above 40 ° C are lethal, above 30 ° C produce small flowers with few petals and pale.
Low temperatures: Produce more petals causing a disorder called bull's head, which is a flower malformation. Produce more anthocyanin, that is, deeper reddish color. Temperatures below -18 ° C are lethal and vegetative stop occurs at -1ºC. Flower buds are formed from 14 degrees.
Best greenhouses for roses growing:
For roses growing, depending on the area, high-tech greenhouses are often used with heating, humidity and temperature control. Roses are often grown in inert substrates, usually in perlite with hydroponic systems. In northern European countries they use artificial lighting and carbon fertilization for production.
Using this type of greenhouse is justified in the increased production associated with the use of these technologies, minimizing the problems arising in unfavorable climates for cultivation periods at the same time.